- The city with the best views of the mountains and rivers!
As a region where the vitality of Bohyeonsan Mountain and the energy of the Geumhogang River come together in harmony, Yeongcheon has been famous for its beautiful scenery of mountains and rivers and the generosity of its residents.
- Korea’s largest herbal medicine distribution complex/producer of grapes and peaches
- Hometown of patriots and loyalists
Yeongcheon has produced many great figures of Korean history including Poeun Jeong Mong-ju, Park In-ro, and General Choi Moo-seon. It is the hometown of many patriots and loyalists as the last bastion during the Imjin War (Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592) and the Korean War.
Yeongcheon is a traffic hub with the Jungang Line and Daegu Line railroads extending from the east to the west of the city, and the Gyeongbu Expressway as well as national and local roads passing through.
- Urban-rural complex city
In Yeongcheon, Bohyeonsan Mountain retains the vitality of the Taebaek Mountain Range and the Namcheon Stream and Bukcheon Stream meet to form the upper stream of the Geumhogang River and a granary along the river basin. Yeongcheon, located between Gumi and Pohang, is a typical urban-rural complex city where agriculture and industry have been developed simultaneously.
- Potential area for development
An area with high potential for development with abundant tourism resources such as Palgongsan and Bohyeonsan Mountains and location adjacent to large cities such as Daegu, Gyeongju and Pohang
Bohyeonsan Optical Astronomy Observatory, Eunhaesa Temple, Manbulsa Temple, Dogyeseowon Confucian Academy, etc.
- Yeongcheon Herbal Medicine Festival (October)
- Bohyeonsan Starlight Festival (August)
- 2003Established the plan for a sister city affiliation between Seongdong-gu and Yeongcheon-si
- 2004Concluded the affiliation postponed due to the circumstances of Yeongcheon-si
- October 24, 2006Yeongcheon-si expressed its intention to re-promote the affiliation
- March 27, 2008Yeongcheon-si suggested the conclusion of the affiliation agreement
Dates of Affiliation
August 29, 2008Seongdong-gu ↔ Yeongcheon-si
- August 29, 2008Seongdong-gu delegation visited Yeongcheon-si and signed a sister city affiliation agreement
- September 19, 2008Yeongcheon-si attended the opening ceremony of Wangsimni Plaza (Vice Mayor of Yeongcheon and other delegates)
- October 2-5, 2008Seongdong-gu participated in the 6th Yeongcheon Herbal Medicine Festival (5 delegates including the Director of Construction and Transportation Bureau)
- January 2009Seongdong-gu purchased Yeongcheon-si products as lunar new year gifts for employees
- March 18, 2009Yeongcheon-si visited Seongdong-gu to discuss exchange projects (Head of External Cooperation Team)
- April 18, 2012Yeongcheon-si visited Seongdong-gu to discuss exchange projects
- 2014Seongdong-gu sent a congratulatory video message to the Yeongcheon Herbal Medicine and Fruit Festival
- 2015-2016Seongdong-gu participated in the Bohyeonsan Starlight Festival (employees and their families)
- 2009-2018Yeongcheon-si participated in Seongdong-gu Rainbow Market (sales of the city’s agricultural specialty products)
- July 8-15, 2019Seongdong-gu participated in the Yeongcheon garlic purchasing campaign to celebrate its increased production