Yeongwol-gun, located at the southernmost tip of Gangwon-do Province, has beautiful, natural sceneries as a clean inland and mountainous area free of pollutants where the Taebaek, Charyeong, and Sobaek Mountain Ranges sprawl. Byeolmaro Astronomical Observatory, Korea’s largest astronomical observatory, is also located in this area as there are many clear days on which celestial bodies can be observed.
The area is a habitat of rare insects that can only be found in the Donggang River basin and is an ecological repository with various southern and northern insect species thanks to its topographical features. An insect museum has been built in this area as an ecological experience center.
Korean Peninsula Overlook, Cheongnyeongpo, Jangneung Royal Tomb, Gossi Cave, Eorayeon Pool, Beopeungsa Temple, Byeolmaro Astronomical Observatory, Kim Satgat Historic Site, etc.
- Danjong Culture Festival (April)
- Donggang International Photography Festival (July)
- Donggang Festival (August)
- Kim Satgat Culture Festival (October)
- November 12, 2014 Seongdong-gu visited Yeongwol-gun Office to suggest a sister city affiliation
- February 9, 2015 Seongdong-gu visited Yeongwol-gun County for a discussion on promoting the affiliation
- March 9, 2015 Seongdong-gu sent an official letter to confirm Yeongwol-gun’s intention to form the affiliation
- March 18, 2015 Yeongwol-gun informed Seongdong-gu of its intention to form the affiliation
Dates of Affiliation
May 20, 2015 Seongdong-gu ↔ Yeongwol-gun
- April 29, 2016Seongdong-gu participated in the Danjong Culture Festival (40 employees)
- November 2, 2016 Seongdong-gu made a congratulatory visit to the Yeongwol-gun Residents’ Day event (4 delegates including a director)
- September 2017Seongdong-gu sent flowers in celebration of the Kim Satgat Culture Festival
- 2015-2018Yeongwol-gun participated in Seongdong-gu Rainbow Market (sales of the area’s agricultural specialty products)